Why does the Bible condemn intoxication? Why does Paul, say, “Do not be getting drunk” (Eph. 5:18)? Because it destroys our sober-mindedness. It is important to listen to part 1 of this lesson, “Sobermindedness,” delivered on the same day.
In this lesson, we will address six (6) common misconceptions used to argue in favor of Christians drinking alcohol:
- “Jesus turned water into wine, so Jesus endorses drinking socially.”
- “It’s okay to drink in moderation, so long as you don’t get drunk.”
- “Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach, so social drinking must be okay”
- “Jesus was a winebibber.”
- “Deacons are told not to be “addicted to much wine,” which implies moderation is acceptable.”
- “This question is a matter of Christian Liberty and thus a Romans 14 issue.”